Saturday, February 27, 2010

I would like to paint my wood on my windows (grid). What steps do I need to take (type of paint, etc)?

I recently purchased new windows for my upstairs. I could not afford to replace all of the windows in the house at the same time. The grid work on the windows is the same pattern, but the colors do not match. The new windos have the grid inside the window and the downstairs is wood and outside of the window. I would like to paint the wood on the lower level to match the color on the upstairs windows until I can afford to replace the lower level windows. There is already paint on the lower level windows (wood). I understand about having to mask it off to protect the glass, but can I paint directly over the previous color or do I need to sand that off in order to apply the new color? Also, what type of paint do I need to use? There is a storm window over all of the windows. Thank you in advance for the help!I would like to paint my wood on my windows (grid). What steps do I need to take (type of paint, etc)?
First thing is to figure out the type pf existing paint, a very simple method is to get some methylated spirits on a rag wipe over the paint, if the paint softens then you have an acrylic( or water based coating ) if it doesn't soften then you have an enamel(or oil based coating).


Now that you know the type of coating the next step is preparation, First clean down to remove any dirt,dust mould etc, a general purpose household detergent should be good enough for this purpose.





next , depending on the condition of the existing coatin will determine how much work you have to do, if the paint is in a reasonable condition without to much flaking or peeling then you will just need to sand lightly with something like a 250gt sandpaper. If the existing coating has broken down and is flaking then you will have to remove as much of that flaking and loosed paint as possible, starting with an 80 or 100 grade sandpaper then moving on to a finer grade to feather and smooth any rough edges.


Next assuming the paint was in a reasonable condition and you have determined what type of paint it was you can just overcoat with the new color in the appropriate paint type, if it was oil based then use oil based again, if it was water based the use a water based enamel coating to ensure longevity and serviceability of your new paintwork.


If the old paint was in poor condition and you have areas of bare timber then you will have to prime these bare areas with a good quality timber primer, then undercoat the entire surface then topcoat.





Now some tips


!) Make sure you don't sand the glass when your sanding the paintwork, consider masking the glass before you sand or just be careful to keep the sandpaper away from the glass





2) Generally oil based enamels are still the best to use on exterior joinery although there are some very good water based paints available now that will work very well, consult your local paint shop.





3) Remember when using oil based paints that you will need white spirits to clean up, it will be a good idea to have some ready and a rag just in case you get some on the glass or whatever so that you can clean up as you go. If using acrylic or water based paints then a damp rag will do the trick.I would like to paint my wood on my windows (grid). What steps do I need to take (type of paint, etc)?
If the paint is intact ....just wash it off well and then re-paint. You'll want to ask for outdoor paint and high gloss enamel is the easiest to clean when it gets grimy. If the paint is not intact or if your home is old enough for the existing paint to be lead based oil paint then it will need to be rough sanded so that the new paint will adhere without blistering up. (if you decide to rough sand , make sure you wear a dust mask as lead paint and all dust are irritating at least and may be harmful to your lungs.
Huh-huh...you're gonna paint your wood...huh-huh!

No comments:

Post a Comment