Saturday, February 27, 2010

What can I do about lead paint on my windows. I have a 5 year old?

I'm afraid for my daughter please help!!!!!What can I do about lead paint on my windows. I have a 5 year old?
Most cases of lead poisoning from paint come from under-fed and poorly supervised children eating paint flakes that were already peeling off, or were easily peeled off.





Other cases have occurred in children when people were remodeling and dry scraping or sandpapering painted surfaces, thereby putting paint dust into the air where they can be inhaled or contaminate food or eating utensils.





If the paint is wearing off the window frame from opening and closing the window, paint dust could accumulate on or around the windowsill, and/or get into the air.





If you decide to remove it, it would be better to use a chemical paint-stripper designed for lead oil-based paint, rather than using any type of dry scraping or sanding process. Your daughter should not be in the room while removal is underway and the windows are repainted.





The waste products should be kept out of her reach and disposed of in a hazardous waste facility, if possible. Depending on local laws, it might be illegal to toss it into the trash.What can I do about lead paint on my windows. I have a 5 year old?
To find out the proper way to take care of that. Call a paint store. They should be able to help you. If not try looking in your phone book For a goverment agency that can help you.
Clean it up, scrap it off, clean up again, prime, repaint.
is it chipping?...the paint chips contain lead..... you can just paint over it with a latex paint..... it is only a hazard if it is ingested ...
If it's not chipping you can paint over it However if it is lead it is probably oil base you will need to use a oil base paint.





On the other hand if it's chipping it is a different story. It can be in the dust of your house!!!!! My parents had this problem. My parents had someone come in and take care of it. I'm not sure you can do it yourself. I do know everyone working on it needs to have a respirator on and you shouldn't be staying at the house when it's done.





You might want to get you daughter tested for lead levels.
Check with your community development dept with the city. They may have a lead abatement program. We had the same problem. The city sent in a service and they went through the whole house inside and out and took meter readings and filled out a zone by zone report. Then companies bid for the job and encapsulated all areas with lead according to the report. You may have more than lead paint. Some finishes in the old days had lead content also. For your childrens sake be aware where the lead is. Good Luck!! Hope this helps.
http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/5054.ht鈥?/a>





lead paint info site
Ideally, abatement. Reallistic, Paint it. 2 coats latex, 1 coat oil. You really should have it removed.





God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment