Sunday, February 21, 2010

I want to paint stained wood trim white, but windows are also stained-how much, if any, of window do I paint?

The trim in my Cape Cod house's living room is three different stain shades, one for bay window, another for fireplace and another for door, and ceiling/floor trim. The windows are stained wooden frame. Can I paint the trim without painting the window casings? Do I have to paint the trim on the rest of the first floor (bedrooms)? Bathroom trim is already painted. Upstairs MBR trim is painted (but not window casings). I want to sell the house. Should I just leave the stain shades alone? The fireplace was just paint-stripped and refinished and is beautiful--it just doesn't match the other trim. Can I paint other trim and leave fireplace?





Any advice?


Thanks!I want to paint stained wood trim white, but windows are also stained-how much, if any, of window do I paint?
My house is 50 years old and has that ugly blondish stained woodwork, trim, etc. The former owners had new Pella windows w/ mini blinds inside put in. The outside is white vinyl, but the inside is that hideous stain to match the ugly woodwork. They bay window is just like the others and the seat of the window is stained. When we bought the house, my hubby painted all the rooms and basement, but didn't do the woodwork. He said it is a lot of work to paint those nice windows.... Men love wood, women painted. If people fall in love with the house, it will not matter.





I would say paint the woodwork; but so many people like the stained woodwork. If you are selling, I would leave it like it is. It is easier for them to paint the woodwork than remove the paint and restain.


If people want it painted they can do it. Don't worry that the mantle doesn't match.I want to paint stained wood trim white, but windows are also stained-how much, if any, of window do I paint?
just remember you can only stain wood darker to make it lighter it requires a wood bleach so i think the trim ceiling and floor plus the door ought to match the fire place mantle irrelevant and try to keep windows all same shade but don't have to match the rest just each other
If you already have some that are painted one way, I would continue with that, rather than mix and match. As least do the one floor all the same.





I also have a problem with that, all of my doors, casings, etc are walnut stained and I would love to do them in off white.


But just thinking about it makes me sick. Do I leave the doors walnut and only paint the casings?? I just do not know for sure.





Look through some decorating magazines and see if you get any good ideas.
Complete the interior to match the fire place, or make the rest of the interior match, and have the fireplace stand out. Either way, the trim should all match for best appeal in this hard buyers market.





You want people to fall in love with the room, and not feel that something is off.





Men seem to love wood, and woman loves paint. You have to decide as we cant see your house.
Personally, I wouldn't paint over the natural wood. I have wood trim in my house that the previous owners painted white. I hate that they did that. Now I am undergoing the arduous task of stripping %26amp; sanding to restore the wood trim.
  • interest
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment