Sunday, February 21, 2010

Is there any type of clear ';stuff'; I can paint my windows with to keep the house wamer?

I am without a doubt, freezing all the time......Is there any type of clear ';stuff'; I can paint my windows with to keep the house wamer?
I don't know about clear paint for the windows, but there are numerous plastic window covers on the market, with varying degrees of transparency. I have not found them to help a lot, but someeone else may have had more luck. Check with your local hardware store for a recommendation. Generally, the ones that they sell the most of will be the ones that people buy over and over again. I'm not aware of a window film that can be reused, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.





I replaced most of the windows in the house a couple years ago. They were 50 years old and the word drafty doesn't begin to cover it. In many states, there are now tax incentives for doing so. This is an expensive option up-front, but it saves money on heating and cooling, and improves the value of the home.





I also sealed around the windows and added insulation, zoned my heating system so I am only heating the areas in use at any given time, and installed a wood boiler.





Wood is cheaper than oil or gas, is an infinitely renewable resource, and used responsibly, it has a small environmental impact compared to petroleum products. Look at the Seton, Greenwood, Tarm gasification boilers if you're concerned with emissions or polution (there's a couple others, but I can't remember their names). If you get the Tarm, you'll need a large storage tank. As far as I know, of the wood gasification models only the Seton and Greenwood do not require a storage tank.





And of course, there's always the old stand-by's like fireplaces, portable heaters, hot cocoa and wearing more clothes. I saw heated pajamas once. Looked like an electric blanket, but you wear it.





Anyway, good luck, get warm, and enjoy the winter!Is there any type of clear ';stuff'; I can paint my windows with to keep the house wamer?
Get one of those plastic film kit that sticks over the window. You use a hair dryer to shrink it so it fits tightly.
Not actually on the windows them self but there is stuff you can buy to insulate around the windows. You should be able to get it from BnQ. I think if the panes of glass are thin you should buy some thick curtains, you can get some relatively cheap thick velvet curtains from ikea which should do the job nicely.


Also a few little tips to keep warm,


Always wear many layers of thin clothing which keeps you warmer than a few thick layers.


Always keep a warm drink handy ( even if it's just warm water).


Fill a hot water bottle if you are settling down in front of the tv.


Try to keep active around the house.


Only a few more months till summer ( then we can all start complaining about the heat).

No comments:

Post a Comment