Sunday, February 21, 2010

What kind of paint is best for painting murals on windows?

I am thinking about getting a small little hobby going, where I want to paint murals on windows of businesses here in my town. I have acrylics already, but am not sure if those would work for this. I need a paint that will wash off easily when needed. Does any one know? thanks!What kind of paint is best for painting murals on windows?
Hi Heather,


Acrylic do not work very well as they scratch easily and flake off. I use to paint Michaels Store Windows and Hobby Lobby. I use Folk Art Enamel paints and they stay on very well and cover well too. When you want to remove it you will have to use alcohol to remove it. I usually rub alcohol on a scrubby and then rub on the painted window and then use a razor blade to remove the rest.


SallyWhat kind of paint is best for painting murals on windows?
You might not want to use acrylic because it does not adhere well at all to glass. Unfortunately, petro-based paints like model airplane paint will adhere, but you must use them in a well ventilated area %26amp; they may not come in amounts that are practical-the bottles are pretty small. Model paint %26amp; Aerosol paints come off fairly easily, you just have to scrape it off with a razor blade %26amp; use some Comet Or Ajax abrasive cleaner to get the over spray %26amp; a last wipe down with windex couldn't hurt either. I just painted the business hours on the glass of the tattoo shop that I work at. I used Rustoleum and/or krylon spray paint and it came out well. I used the blue painters tape to mask off the area and used a copy machine to blow up letters of a good font to the desirable size, then lined everything up. I taped the letters to the blue tape, then cut them out using an exacto knife. That's when i applied the paint in even, back %26amp; forth motions, being careful not to stay too long in one area thus avoiding drips. This is a good, quick method, but you have to be careful in you prep and post clean up. Usu. a razor blade will clean everything up off the glass pretty good and you can always scrape everything off when you are no longer desire the letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment