Thursday, February 18, 2010

How do I get the old (semi permanent!) sap off my car windows (and paint maybe)?

My car was completely covered in sap. I got a lot of it off with the help of my dad, some bug and tar remover, and 2.5 hours of elbow grease. However more drops keep coming on and i don't notice, and some drops were too old to come off so they are pretty much permanent.


BUT the windows are covered in it! it is horrible, when i open them the sap rubs against the inside of the door. It is an obstruction of my view also. Do I have any hope left in any of these areas?How do I get the old (semi permanent!) sap off my car windows (and paint maybe)?
For the glass you can use a razor blade and carefully scrape the sap off the windows. Hold the blade at a 45 deg. angle and push it in one direction. Resist the urge to scrape back and forth (this can scratch the glass) or flip the blade over. If you need to scrape the same spot again lift the blade off the glass and place it at the starting point again and push in the same direction. Periodically clean or replace the razor blade. Then clean the glass with regular glass cleaner.


For the paint, tar and wax remover is best. You may need to hit the old dried sap several times before it starts to loosen and remove. Putting a small drop of the tar and wax remover on it and letting it sit for a minute or so may help. Also a good compounding and waxing of the paint will remove any remaining sap and help protect the paint for the future.


Finally, find a new place to park the car so the tree doesn't keep dropping sap onto it.How do I get the old (semi permanent!) sap off my car windows (and paint maybe)?
Re: paint sap on car paint work that won't come off with washing.


I had the very same problem with my car its a nightmair! Unfortunately the only way i managed to get it off was to T-cut it. T-cut is more than a polish, it takes all grained in stains and light scratches out and brings the colour out a treat. Its hard work but well worth it in the end. You'll find it in any motorist shop and its worth getting the cloth they sell for polishing its not expensive.


To protect the paint from more sap damage, after washing your car, give it a polish as this will protect it. The next time you wash it the sap will come off. Once you have built up a few layers of wax you will not need to do it every time you wash the car, but about every 3 months.


I recommend the auto glm range its fantastic. It is quite expensive but a little goes a long way and is really very good.


Re: Sap on windows and paint.


To get all the sap off my windows i used hot water and vinegar, yes vinegar! And alot of scrubing!


When dry and sparkling clean I recommend even though it will sound barmy! To spray glass with glass cleaner and use newspaper scrunched up to rub windows clean. Again this is the best method i've found to get rid of grime and leave glass smear free.


As for paint on glass, you could try some lighter fluid or bit of meths on a cloth, it should take it off. Failing that very very carefully scrap with stanley knife or razor blade, but do be careful.


With a wee bit more care and attention your car will look like new! I hope i have been of some help;)
Try using some WD-40 stuff works great on sap.
have you tried Denatured Alcohol? It works to remove road tar, decal glue and doesn't harm the paint.
Bug tar remover. Just keep using it. And, if you can't park somewhere else, cover the car with a cheap plastic tarp.
I would use simple green . put it on and brush with a soft brush or cloth. Then take it to a car wash. I have also used the engine gunk at car washes then follow with a good wash and rinsh. A car cover is a good investment if you have lots of trees like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment